JamesI
JamesI, Other
Experience:  James has experience in a wide range of e-mails clients from Outlook to Lotus Notes and Webmail.
75967336

I am wanting to download an APP from Google Play Store to my

I am wanting to download an APP from Google Play Store to my Blackberry Z10 and have set up an account name with google ending in @gmail.com and I think I have set up the relevant account name on my Z10 (settings, accounts, add account). The account details (in edit account) show things like server address as imap.gmail.com, port as 993, encryption SSL, SMTP Server Address smtp.gmail.com, SMTP port 465.
When I try to download from google play it does not recognise any device. Can you please help?
Regards ***** *****

Hi, thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will help with your query today.

It sounds like you have setup an e-mail account looking at the settings listed above.

Can you confirm you have installed the google play store as shown on the instructions here?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi James
Have enabled "allow aps from other sources" and downloaded the Google Play Services APK but when I try to install it my phone tells me it is unable to install this app...
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How do I progress this conversation? - I was asked do I want to give secure remote access to my phone in order to hopefully sort out my problem, to which I said yes, but now the message in green above...

Hi we are unable to connect to Blackberry' due to the type of software they run, do you get a specific error code when downloading the APK?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am able to download APK (46MB) and I get the message "download complete". No error code, just a message from my phone when I try to install the download telling me "unable to install download".

Is the phone installed with the latest firmware?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What is firmware?

Its the software the phone runs, you need to have ideally the latest software update (or at least 10.2.1).

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Currently running on 10.3.3.1435

Ok so that should work, lets try a different APK just to rule out an issue with the phone.

Give me a minute

Click here, then select the google play icon.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The tutorial is what you directed me to in the first place - it is number 3 I cannot get past - installing the APK App...

Ok try and go to step 4 download the APK then try and run it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Which version of google account manager do I need? - there are loads of them.

It should just download one APK file ending 4.3.3

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
cannot find one ending 4.3.3 - have downloaded 6.0.1 which will not install - would it be cheaper to buy a new phone!????

There is clearly a issue with the phone, I would be inclined to do a factory reset on the blackberry and try again.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How do I do a factory reset?

To reset the phone

1. On the Home screen, touch the Status bar and slide down.
  2. Select Settings.
  3. Then Security & Privacy.
  4. Select Security Wipe.
  5. Enter blackberry in the field provided
  6. Select Wipe

This should clear all settings and features and restore the phone back to factory settings its worth having a backup of the phone before hand as you will lose all pictures etc.

Once reset you can try again to enable install of APK from other sources and then install the playstore, the majority of the issues you face are due to Blackberry devices not being designed to run android so there is an extra level of complexity for them to support them, and a rogue setting is likely causing your issue which this factory reset should resolve.

Let me know how you get on.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi James
Tried the res-set and was able to install google play services apk but not able to install google account manager apk.
Have decided to ditch my 5 year-old Blackberry and get an I-phone instead.
May the force be with you - always.
Steve

Hi Steve, sorry to hear you got one step closer but still ran into issues with the blackberry. The joys of old technology, do let me know if you need anything further.