Josh
Josh, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Expert for over 10 years
50836188

I've been contacted by Chaos Hacking Group that they have

Customer Question

I've been contacted by Chaos Hacking Group that they have obtained access to me email account between 30/06/19 to 24/09/19 and to my contacts. This is obviously a phishing email but they have demanded £2,000 be sent to their account or else!!
JA: Are you logged into your email account on any other devices?
Customer: yes mobile phone
JA: Do you have security questions or a phone number on file to help reset your password?
Customer: I have recently reset it under Virgin Media
JA: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: don't think so
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Email
Expert:  Josh replied 1 month ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Please note that it can take a couple of minutes for a reply while I review your response and type out an answer.

They have not gained access to your account -- Their whole premise is a scam and they do not have access to your email. A newer version of their scam is to pretend they are sending the email from your own account but they are just spoofing the email address or they will provide you with a password ***** you used in the past that they obtained from a data breach. Either way, you can simply change your password ***** not worry about their scam attempt because it is just that; a scam attempt.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thank you
Expert:  Josh replied 1 month ago.

You're welcome!