Bryan
Bryan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  12+ years of professional support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.
12615041

My Outlook Express on my old computer (running XP) seems to

Customer Question

Good afternoon. My Outlook Express on my old computer (running XP) seems to be incompatible with BT as it had POP3 as its server. From some online suggestions I've deleted the POP3 and installed IMAP and completed the procedures using the prompt screens and it appeared to be accepting the input OK. I then tried a test email, sending it to a friend but an error message came up saying the host SMTP could not be found and giving certain details re the port etc. The expected port on my online printout said "Port 465" which should have been automatically populated on selecting SSL - which I did select. Can you advise what I'm doing wrong please
JA: Have you checked for the lost email in your Trash and Spam folders?
Customer: No. Its sitting in the Outbox still
JA: Have you tried the "Recover deleted items" option under the Deleted Items folder?
Customer: As I haven't done anything other than gave the send message instruction I dont think it should have been deleted
JA: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not at this point thanks
Category: Email
Expert:  Bryan replied 23 days ago.

Hi, my name is*****’m sorry to hear you're having trouble with your system. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Expert:  Bryan replied 23 days ago.

Could you clarify if you are using Outlook Express or Microsoft Outlook on the old computer?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
outlook express
Expert:  Bryan replied 23 days ago.

Please ignore and close any remote assistance offers if they show up on this page; they are not sent by me.

Expert:  Bryan replied 23 days ago.

OK, I see. Please stand by; typing up some steps now.

Expert:  Bryan replied 23 days ago.

Please check this in Outlook Express now:

Click on the Tools menu at the top, then click Accounts.

Select your email account and click Properties.

Click on the Advanced tab at the top. What port numbers do you see listed for incoming and outgoing server there?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
No card info is OK just that the Bank temporarily halted the transaction. I have now confirmed the amounts
Expert:  Bryan replied 23 days ago.

No, please ignore that payment prompt - we do not need to set up a remote session for this issue.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
outgoing 25 incoming 143
Expert:  Bryan replied 23 days ago.

OK, one moment.

Expert:  Bryan replied 23 days ago.

Now, click on the Servers tab; what incoming and outgoing server names are ***** *****?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Incoming IMAP Outgoing SMTP
Expert:  Bryan replied 23 days ago.

OK, one moment.

Expert:  Bryan replied 23 days ago.

The server names itself is listed as IMAP and SMTP? No other server names under it?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Outgoing server is named as "mail.btinternet.com" n
there is a section called incoming server but no description or box for that
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Sorry got the titles the wrong way round read Incoming and outgoing against the opposite titles
Expert:  Bryan replied 23 days ago.

OK, that's fine. One moment,

Expert:  Bryan replied 23 days ago.

Please make the following changes:

Under the Servers tab,

Incoming server: mail.btinternet.com

Outgoing server: mail.btinternet.com

Username: your full email address

Password: your password

Under the Advanced tab,

Incoming server port: 993

Outgoing server port: 465

SSL turned ON for both incoming/outgoing server

Once done, click OK, then re-open Outlook Express and check if you are able to send/receive emails now. Keep me posted,

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
OK Bryan. I've printed off your instructions and will implement them now and come back to you as promptly as poss. Old fingers and 82 year old brains don't work as fast as they used to!
Expert:  Bryan replied 23 days ago.

No issues at all; please take your time :)

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Attempted email to friend has now gone after following your instructions but no new mail has come in and I thought the "mailbox" would have some historical stuff to download as I've not used this computer for emails for a while?
Expert:  Bryan replied 23 days ago.

Hmm, I see. Are you getting any other errors at all in Outlook Express now? Or, no errors but with no new emails as well?

Expert:  Bryan replied 23 days ago.

Also, do you access your emails using any other computer as well?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Just checked your instructions again and I had failed to do the advanced changes on the ports. Having done that and ticked the "on" boxes 993 stayed on but the outgoing 465 then highlighted in blue - but didnt go back to the original "25" shown -any thoughts?
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Re access with other computers - Yes I have a Macbook and presumably any downloads to it would empty the "mailbox" ?
Expert:  Bryan replied 23 days ago.

Yes, that's fine. The incoming port should be 993 and outgoing should be 465. And, SSL should be ticked for both. Could you cross-check the settings, then re-open and check for new emails again?

Expert:  Bryan replied 23 days ago.

And yes, your other computer might be set to delete emails from the server once they are received on the Mac. But no issues, we can change that setting to keep emails from now on so that they can be retrieved on the old computer as well. Keep me posted,

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Ive double checked the settings again and the details are all as instructed but my test email sent to myself has not come through nor have the "response" prompts coming through from you though they are coming in on my iphone
Expert:  Bryan replied 23 days ago.

Hmm, one of your other devices might be deleting new emails from the server once received. One moment,

Expert:  Bryan replied 23 days ago.

Check one thing now; open up www.yahoomail.com on your current computer - are you able to log in to your email account from this page?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Thinking on your idea that the first receiving device might stop the pick-up by other devices later. Don't think that is happening because if I dont get to my Macbook for say a few hours after I received update from my iphone - or vice versa, the emails are always there and sream in.
Expert:  Bryan replied 23 days ago.

OK, I see. No issues; let me check if we might need to use some other server name instead. Please check one thing now; open up www.yahoomail.com on your current computer - are you able to log in to your email account from this page?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
No It doesn't recognise my email address
Expert:  Bryan replied 23 days ago.

OK, one moment.

Expert:  Bryan replied 23 days ago.

Hmm, did you receive the test email you sent to yourself earlier, on your iPhone itself?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Expert:  Bryan replied 23 days ago.

OK, allow me just a few mins.

Expert:  Bryan replied 23 days ago.

What's your full email address?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Expert:  Bryan replied 23 days ago.

Outlook Express is a very obsolete program, more than 20 years old, and I can only assume it's no longer supported for incoming emails by most email providers including BT. Your email settings are perfectly correct now; if you are not getting any error at all, that might only mean that BT has stopped supporting Outlook Express for good.

Would you like to try another free email program on the old computer instead? If so, I can provide you with the steps to download/set up the same.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Would that require a new email address or can I continue to use the present one?
Expert:  Bryan replied 23 days ago.

No, you will be able to use the same email address only - it's simply another email program like Outlook Express. One moment,

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
If its able to do that then that could be a good solution.
Expert:  Bryan replied 23 days ago.

I'll provide you with a download link to open up the other computer now. One moment,

Expert:  Bryan replied 23 days ago.

Please open up the following website at the top address bar on your old computer's browser:

www.tinyurl.com/tbJA9

On the page that opens up, do you see a "Thunderbird Setup" file listed?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Expert:  Bryan replied 23 days ago.

OK, please click to download that file. Open/run the file downloaded at the bottom, and follow the prompts to install Mozilla Thunderbird thereafter.

Once installed, it will open up and prompt you to add your email account.

Please enter your email address and password ***** just follow the recommended prompts as they show up.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
OK Can you maintain this link while I do this?
Expert:  Bryan replied 23 days ago.

Yes, I'll stand by. Keep me posted,

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
OKits downloading data from Outlook Express at present
Expert:  Bryan replied 23 days ago.

OK, so it's downloading your old emails now?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Its has listed three sources and Mail Folders is in strong black - so presume yes
Expert:  Bryan replied 23 days ago.

OK, just wait for it to complete and then check how it works now. Thanks,

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
OK just have to go from keyboard for a moment for a comfort break
Expert:  Bryan replied 23 days ago.

No issues; I'll be here.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Back on Post!
Expert:  Bryan replied 23 days ago.

OK, is it still downloading the emails now?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Loading guide lookd to be 80% complete
Expert:  Bryan replied 23 days ago.

OK, no issues; it will take some time to complete.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
After two password ***** attempts it appears to be through to next stage and is advising me that Thunderbird is no longer supported by Mozilla and suggesting I join and make a contribution which though I am willing to do I would like to feel there is some security in the platform being available for a goo dlong time. Any comments?
Expert:  Bryan replied 23 days ago.

No, that's fine. Just skip/close that donation screen; you do not need to do that. Just open up the Thunderbird program and check - are you getting your emails on this program now?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I appear to have the emails up to the point shown on the Outlook Express mail screen which was up to earlier this year. so Yes its transferred those over but not linked to the current BT mail box
Expert:  Bryan replied 23 days ago.

OK, I see. Do you see a Tools menu at the top of Thunderbird now?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Ive had alook at it and it contains the mail.btinternet.com link as well as port 993 so has transferred the essential links I think but it doesnt seem to like the password ***** I made so cant find any other password ***** my manager. Can I create a new one from here or only going back into BT files?
Expert:  Bryan replied 23 days ago.

Hmm, one moment.

Expert:  Bryan replied 23 days ago.

Please open up the following link on your current computer:

https://home.bt.com/login/loginform?TARGET=$SM$https%3A%2F%2Fsignin1.bt.com%2Fbtmail%2Fsecure%2Femaillogin

Are you able to sign in with the same password ***** this page?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I've used the link and signed in successfully
Expert:  Bryan replied 23 days ago.

OK, we might need to check some settings under your email account itself. One moment,

Expert:  Bryan replied 23 days ago.

Please open up the following website on your old computer:

www.thunderbird.net

Download and install the latest version of Thunderbird from there, then open it up again and check if it still does not accept your password ***** time.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
OK Ive opened the link to the site but cant immediately see the download key - still trying!"
Expert:  Bryan replied 23 days ago.

Do you see a FREE DOWNLOAD button on the page? Make sure you opened up the correct website as well.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
This is the website I've reached using your link: https://www.thunderbird.net/en-GB/ but no sogn of "frre download"
Expert:  Bryan replied 23 days ago.

Yes, I can see the green download button on this same page, at my end. One moment,

Expert:  Bryan replied 23 days ago.

I'm sorry, we seem to have completely run out of options here. Alternatively, would it be too much hassle to go to www.bt.com on the old computer, and click on the EMAIL at the top-right to access your emails from there via webmail, each time? You can add this webmail page to your browser bookmarks for easy access as well.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Ive tried reducing the page size and resetting it and I've tried using the slider in the RH side of screen but cant source a green button for download
Expert:  Bryan replied 23 days ago.

OK, try this link instead:

www.thunderbird.net/download

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I agree with your comment but can only say thank you for persisting. One question. When I agreed to allow the remote access the charge was temporarily halted then I cleared it with the bank. It then was acknowledged as OK so dont know if the charge of £22 was taken. Can you confirm this at this time?
Expert:  Bryan replied 23 days ago.

OK, thanks. And no, that fee for remote assistance did not go through earlier and so you will not be charged for the same (even after you cleared it.) By the way, can I try setting up a remote session on the old computer now? If it works, I'll be connected to your screen, and you will only be charged for remote assistance if I can get this email issue resolved for you directly at your screen. Let me know; thanks.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
If you are not due "off shift" yet I'm happy to try that. So lets have a go.
Expert:  Bryan replied 23 days ago.

OK, please open up the following website on the old computer:

www.tinyurl.com/emailJA5

On the "Join your remote assistance session" page that opens up, scroll down and click I Agree.

Open/run the "Elsinore.ScreenConnect.Client" remote file that downloads at the bottom of the browser, and we will be connected.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
The .exe file appeared but didnt seem to open so I tried again and it appears to be there but I don' see any acknowledgement of your interaction on my scren
Expert:  Bryan replied 23 days ago.

Yes, it looks like the remote tool is not compatible with Windows XP either. It's a very obsolete OS and so most applications, including email, are not supported with it anymore. Please try downloading Thunderbird using the following link as well:

www.thunderbird.net/download

If you are still not able to download or get it to work, I'm afraid your only other option here will be to use the www.bt.com website > Email, to access your emails on that computer from now on.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Think age is telling here. Old operating systems and old operators! Guess we'll just have to settle for BT website access. Again many thanks for your efforts. Think you're a bit like me and don't like to give up on a problem. Thank you Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 23 days ago.

Yes, we tested with every possible setting here, but it simply looks like your email does not support Windows XP anymore at all. I'm sorry about this. And, you may cancel your trial membership on our site using the "cancel membership" link at the bottom of the following page:

https://my-secure.justanswer.com/managepearlunlimited

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Should have clarified = Old operator is at this end
Expert:  Bryan replied 23 days ago.

Got it, and thank you very much for your patience with this :) And, please be sure to cancel your trial membership before it ends as well, using the above link I provided. Take care!