Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Email Systems and Programs
32989067

My husband cant remember his password for his hotmail and

Customer Question

my husband cant remember his password ***** his hotmail and has a new computer which has given him a new outlook email address. How can he access his old email?
JA: Are you logged into your Outlook account on any other devices?
Customer: no
JA: Do you have security questions or a phone number on file to help reset your password?
Customer: he hasnt a clue - is in early stages of dementia, but probably does have some security questions. Doesnt use a mobile phone, but landline is***********JA: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Email
Expert:  Richard replied 11 days ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
I’m sorry to hear you're having trouble with your account. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Can you please use my link below to reset the password
https://account.live.com/password/reset
Once the password ***** ***** try to sign into the account.
Please let me know exactly what happens

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
microsoft says it doesnt recognise the code number
Expert:  Richard replied 11 days ago.

Unfortunately you are not going to be able to recover this account. It is extremely important that you keep your recovery options up to date since that is your only way back in. With it being a free email service does not offer any support aside from what you have seen online. A few years back they did have more options for people in your situation but now they simply suggest you create a new account.

I am sorry to have to tell you this but there is no way back in. When you register for an account, it's up to you to provide the most up-to-date and valid recovery info. Your best option to avoid losing access is to update your recovery info if you get a new phone number or change your alternate email address.

So unfortunately there are no options left since you never updated your recovery information. In the interest of saving yourself some time I would suggest you don't spend more looking for a solution in this situation as you have no options aside from getting the correct password ***** am sorry to say. I just don't want to give you hope because in the last year they have completely cut off any type of support and leaves account recovery entirely up to the user meaning if you don't keep your recovery info up to date and forget or lose the password ***** cannot get back into the account.

Again, sorry to have to deliver the bad news but hopefully it saves you some time in the long run and prevents anything like this from ever happening again.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Dont worry, my husband is hopeless, I'm going to get my son (who is an IT expert) to come and sort him out! Thanks for trying....
Expert:  Richard replied 11 days ago.

You are welcome