Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

My Hotmail account was hacked into on Friday. I have

My Hotmail account was hacked into on Friday. I have recovered the account and changed the password ***** security information, and removed a forwarding instruction. But I believe my emails are still being forwarded. I need to check this, but am getting messages saying I can't see anything to do with security until a month after changing the security information.
JA: Are you logged into your Hotmail account on any other devices?
Customer: I just opened Hotmail on my mobile phone.
JA: Do you have security questions or a phone number on file to help reset your password?
Customer: I have security questions, but I had to use my wife's mobile to re-set the password (as codes had been diverted away from me), so I don't currently have access to the phone.
JA: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, that's it.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues.

If you already turned off or disabled Forwarding on your account, then your emails should not be forwarding to other email address. There is only one venue or location in your email settings for forwarding. So if you already turned it off, then it is off.

If you updated your security information, then your account will be locked UNTIL the changes you requested (change of security information) will be finalized after 30 days. You can access your emails but you cannot access the security section of your account since you have a pending request to change your security information.

Thank you and I hope that helped. If you need further assistance, please let me know so that I can assist you further.

Best regards,

Jess

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Is there any other way in which they could be still viewing my emails. I ask because they managed (briefly) to change my Linked In password, which means they must have been able to see to the code I was sent.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
When the hack was in progress they were also able to divert messages away from my mobile phone, and I don't know how that was done.

The only way to secure your Hotmail account now is to change your password. If you already did that, then you should be safe. Please secure your other accounts like LinkedIn. If they know the password ***** your LinkedIn account, then there is no need for the code sent to your email for them to access your LinkedIn.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.

You're welcome and thank you for using our service. Stay safe!

Best regards,

Jess

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
When I look at Settings in Outlook, I get only a limited range of options, and don't have a tab or anything for "View all settings". I'm looking for Rules and for Forwarding. Where are they?

You need to access your email account using a web browser, NOT the Outlook program. Here is the link to access Rules and filters, just sign in to your email account when prompted:

https://outlook.live.com/mail/0/options/mail/rules

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
But when I try that I'm told I can't access it until my security information is replaced in July.

Yes you cannot, since it requires your security information and it is being updated.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
how can I check that no-one has added a forwarding rule? As far as I can see, the hacker's forwarding rule that I removed was added after I changed my password ***** security information (or at least, the rule only began to operate after that).

You cannot, unfortunately. If you want, you can cancel your request to update or delete your security information and see if you are still able to access your account. For instance, if you are deleting a mobile number from your account because it is no longer active, if you cancel the request, be sure you are still able to access your email using ANOTHER security information on your account. That is the only time you can access the security section on your account.

As to how to cancel, you will see that option when you are prompted about your request is pending until 30 days has passed.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
But I was able to access the account earlier today and remove a forwarding instruction.

Then the forwarding setting should have been removed already. If you want to revisit that setting, and you are prompted that you cannot because of a pending request, then there is no workaround for that except cancelling the request.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I turned off the forwarding rule for incoming messages. Is it possible for someone to set up a forwarding rule for outgoing messages? And would that appear in the same place?

There is only ONE place to manage forwarding. There is only one forwarding setting for incoming message. No forwarding for outgoing.