Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Email Systems and Programs
32989067

We upgraded to MacOs Big Sur recently. This sent the e-mail

We upgraded to MacOs Big Sur recently. This sent the e-mail into free fall. It seems that google and Mac are not getting on.. I am not particularly computer - savvy. I need google to accept the telephone number - our land line which receives the internet, is not an imposter. We don't have mobile signal and can't accept text messages.The old recovery number belongs to someone who used to lived here and has just moved. I managed to change that but can't do it for my partner Garth Reynolds without going via Mary's mobile. I can supply the full number for that phone. I have given Philip's e-mail as a recovery e-mail. He helped sort out the problem, with difficulty as he is a PC man not a Mac man. At least, finally, my e-mail is working...but not my partners.
JA: Are you logged into your Philips account on any other devices?
Customer: No I don't log into Philip's account. It's his private account. He is just there for someone to help if we need a recovery e-mail.
JA: Do you have security questions or a phone number on file to help reset your password?
Customer: My landline is this one where our internet comes in - which, I would have thought ought to be acceptable. It is useless giving mobiles which don't work here. I would have to go to the village to get the message. I can give you Mary's full number and this full number. I haven't managed to reach the security questions.
JA: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, I just need to get Garth's mail running, since mine is working after hours of faffing ab out.

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
I’m sorry to hear you're having trouble with your account. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Can you please use my link below to reset the password

https://accounts.google.com/signin/recovery

Once the password ***** ***** try to sign into the account.

Let me know how you go please

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Ok it's not working. I have to go out of my e-mail and sign in to my partner's account. He is 87 and not technical. I'm not sure if I can reach you from his account. He is***@******.***
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Ok but it's not our fault that Mac and Google are having these problems. I appreciate that Google is free though.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
what do I do, go into Garth's account?

Please click this link

https://join.zoho.eu/6691242191

and open the file you download

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Safari can't open the zohofile..

What was the error it gave?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Safari says it cannot open a secure connection. It seems that all these things trying to keep us secure are now acting against each other.

Restart the mac and try again please

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
ok
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I can't reach you form Garth's login bit of the computer. He has different log in details. What contact details do I put in for you from there?
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
But Safari won't work with that?? Or did you get it to work?

no, you need to try it after restarting

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Maybe I should just contact Mary and see when she is in a mobile signal friendly area. I don't understand why the mail doesn't the landline the network comes in on. Ok I will try switching again and restarting..

thanks

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
It won't work - same thing.. so I'm back on my part of the computer.

What is the email address you are having issues with?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Maybe we should just take everything down on his e-mail and start again. It seems an awful lot of work just to reinstate because of a computer upgrade.***@******.*** is the address I am having problems with.

Let me know how you go please

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Ok it won't work unless I go out of my computer section and into his as it thinks it is my***@******.*** I am trying to reset, I think, so I will have to go back into Garth's bit of the computer and try it that way 'if' I can reach the details from there... thankfully he has just made me a cup of tea..

ok thanks

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
It just comes back up with Mary's phone number for security. I tried phoning it but..it's on answerphone. I can supply the actual numbers for a security check, if required. We have been going round in circles for hours trying to get this sorted..

Unfortunately you are not going to be able to recover this account. It is extremely important that you keep your recovery options up to date since that is your only way back in. With it being a free email service does not offer any support aside from what you have seen online. A few years back they did have more options for people in your situation but now they simply suggest you create a new account.

I am sorry to have to tell you this but there is no way back in. When you register for an account, it's up to you to provide the most up-to-date and valid recovery info. Your best option to avoid losing access is to update your recovery info if you get a new phone number or change your alternate email address.

So unfortunately there are no options left since you never updated your recovery information. In the interest of saving yourself some time I would suggest you don't spend more looking for a solution in this situation as you have no options aside from getting the correct password ***** am sorry to say. I just don't want to give you hope because in the last year they have completely cut off any type of support and leaves account recovery entirely up to the user meaning if you don't keep your recovery info up to date and forget or lose the password ***** cannot get back into the account.

Again, sorry to have to deliver the bad news but hopefully it saves you some time in the long run and prevents anything like this from ever happening again.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
It's ok. I'm just surprised it doesn't recognise the phone line number we use to internet and expects everyone to have mobile signals. We are out in the countryside and this is not easy. Mary moved a few weeks ago . I updated my bit but forgot Garth's. I will leave her a message. We can't update anything if we can't get in to do it, unfortunately. Thanks for trying. The passwords are correct. He has only used 2 different ones recently. It won't accept either of them.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
it was working before we did the darned upgrade. I wish we had left it alone now.

yes, as it required you to signin