How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor Advocate
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 2850
Experience:  Partner in national law firm with 20+ years legal experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now

Im representing my wife in a tribunal because we cant afford

Customer Question

I'm representing my wife in a tribunal because we can't afford qualified legal representation. I read a webpage, which said that claimant and a work colleague have the right to take paid leave to go before an employment tribunal. I'm not a "work colleague" in the strict sense of the word (my wife are both doctors, but working for different hospitals), but obviously my presence at tribunal is required as her representative. My employer has read the webpage but say they can find no statutory obligation to give me paid leave as her representative. Can you pls advise me further whether I have a right to paid leave to represent my wife and what is the statutory basis for this? Many thanks in advance.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your question. I will try and help you with this.

A worker is permitted to take a reasonable amount of paid time off during his or her working hours to accompany a colleague to a disciplinary or grievance hearing. The worker is also entitled to paid time off to give evidence at a tribunal.

Unfortunately, there is no statutory right to paid time off to represent a spouse at a tribunal.