How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor Advocate
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 2850
Experience:  Partner in national law firm with 20+ years legal experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now

I was accused Id assault some 3 years ago by a neighbour,

This answer was rated:

I was accused I'd assault some 3 years ago by a neighbour, subsequently I was visited by the police to investigate and after a brief chat to hear my side of the event there was no action taken whatsoever. I am now involved in a legal case where my neighbour has again in a whiteness statement accused me of the assault again. Can I sue him for libel and defemation of character, as I didn't even receive a warning from the police and he continues to raise the non incident.
Thanks for your question. I will try and help you with this.

Witness statements made in legal proceedings are protected by legal privilege and you cannot sue for libel.

Alice H and other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok how about I sue him for the original accusation which was unfounded

Under the Limitations Act 1980- the time limit for a libel action is 12 months.

Unfortunately you are now out of time to sue.