How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Remus2004 Your Own Question
Remus2004, Advocate
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 71051
Experience:  I am a barrister
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Remus2004 is online now

i have an u pair girl in my house, do I need to communicate

Customer Question

i have an u pair girl in my house, do I need to communicate this to the council or the tax office?
can I deduct the costs I have for her?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

In order to give you an answer tailored to your circumstances, I will just need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the au pair girl in my house is a romanian girl.

She is doing the au pair to lean the english language.

we have made a contract etween us, but do I need to communicate her preence inn my house? can I deduct the spending I hve with her?




Expert:  Remus2004 replied 4 years ago.
Thanks. Can I presume you are not getting a reduction for single occupation ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes, I am the only worker in the family, my wife does not work and I have four children. two of them are 6 months old.

I am paying a mortgage as well.

Our contract is to pay her £400 a month plus food ad accomodation.

What I need to do?

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 4 years ago.
You need to disclose her presence in the house.

Au pairs are always a grey area over things like council tax. However, my general experience has been that they will remove the reduction for single occupancy.

I have heard of cases where councils have accepted that au pairs earn so little that they should be an exempted person but generally speaking councils will say they are a second person in the house and they are earning so the reduction falls away.

Im very sorry if this is bad news.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you, but do I need to inform the tax credit office about it? should I have a deduction for the fact that I pay her and cover all her expenses?

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 4 years ago.
Yes and yes.

You need to tell everybody. That is the way to protect yourself.

In terms of reductions, I'm not a tax expert obviously but it seems likely that you can seek deductions on that basis. But you must disclose.