How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 50722
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

please would you help me my boss has given me a suspension

Customer Question

please would you help me my boss has given me a suspension she says a took a letter and not shown her but i did not then she said im suppended untill saterday she said i cant talk to staff but there is only 3 people there anyway 2 are new and im scared of going in on my own and i need a representstive and i havent got one do you know how i could get one for one day just so they can listen and take notes? i have never been in this position before and i have worked for her for 5 years never had a day off (never) please could you help me with this i can pay a little yours lisa earl.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 5 years ago.

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.
Before proceeding please note that as I am a practising solicitor, I am often in and out of meetings, travelling between clients or even at court when I pick your question up. This may even occur at weekends. Therefore, I apologise in advance but there may be a delay in getting back to you and providing my advice. Please be patient and I will respond as soon as I can. You do not have to wait here and you will receive an email when I have responded. For now please let me know what your specific question is.

JACUSTOMER-tvmaxm38- :

thank you for your help and replying. my question is can i pay for a union representaive to company me at the meeting ?

JACUSTOMER-tvmaxm38- :

from accrington

JACUSTOMER-tvmaxm38- :

please get back to me ! asap !!

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your patience. You will not really find any unions that jus provide a representative to accompany you for one meeting. You would need to join a union and even then you would need to have been a member for a minimum period of time before they can offer you the services of a representative to accompany you at meetings.

However, under law you are not entitled to be accompanied at suspension meetings anyway. You only have that right at formal disciplinary hearings so unless this is such a meeting the law does not give you the right to be accompanied and even if you wanted to take someone with you, the employer can easily refuse that request.

If this was a formal disciplinary then you can only take a union member or a colleague with you. As mentioned, unions do not offer such short notice representation so your only viable option is to either try and get a colleague to come with you or unfortunately would have to go in alone.