How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nicola-mod Your Own Question
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 21
Experience:  Moderator
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Nicola-mod is online now

Complex problem. I work on a GlaxoSmithKline site in Worthing.

Customer Question

Complex problem. I work on a GlaxoSmithKline site in Worthing. I am the Admin Manager of the Social Club which is a private members club on the site. I am employed by Sodexo (a service povider) but they charge the Club for my wages. GSK has decided to turn the Club into a training centre and I have been given notice of redundancy by Sodexo. I am entitled to 12 week notice as I have worked there for 13 years. My notice of redundancy takes effect on the 18th August. I then have 12 weeks notice to work.
Question :-
Sodexo have no work for me as an Admin Manager or any work of a similar nature on the site and the Club will cease to exist on the 31st August. Can they insist that I do another job such as a cleaner or shop assistant or must they give me gardening leave or pay in lieu? I have another job to go to but they will not hold it open if I have to work the 12 weeks. I have searched the web but can find no answer to this question.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 4 years ago.

Ben Jones : Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. You can only be asked to do a job that is covered by your contract of employment or which is considered suitable alternative employment. So if you are an admin manager then asking you to do cleaning duties will not be reasonable and you can request to either be placed on garden leave or be paid in lieu of notice
Ben Jones :

Please let me know if this has answered your query or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this?

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated. If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.

Thank you,