How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nicola-mod Your Own Question
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 21
Experience:  Moderator
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Nicola-mod is online now

I started working for an employment agency in June 16 th this

Customer Question

I started working for an employment agency in June 16 th this yr. As i had just arrived in the country and had no accomodation they gave me a room in a hse solely for drivers. They took my rent direct from my wages. I have worked full time since as a self employed hgv 1 driver at a local company , paid through them. This week was a bank holiday so i mentioned in a text to them that the company i worked for didnt often employ on bank hols and also that if i was booked they often cancelled at the last minute so i want min 8 hrs booked now regardless for only this day or i would book in eleswhere for the day. They said they would get back to me but "nothing" so i booked in eleswhere. The day before they rang me to say i was wanted. I said i couldnt so they told me to work or i had 2 hrs to pack my stuff and leave the hse. I have now left but still have the key as dispute to them. They said they are changing locks and will take this directly out of my wages. I intend to leave the key in later today just 24 hrs after moving out. I'm very angry and want to now can i sue them either work wise or tennancy wise. Many thanks Steve
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.



Yes i have no problem waiting...


Pls note i'm British and this happened in the UK ...I have no idea why South Africa is mentioned??

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Ah...I apologise for the confusion. I will transfer your question to the UK Law category.

We will continue to look for a professional to assist you.

Thank you for your patience,
Expert:  Ash replied 4 years ago.
Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return.

Did you ever sign a contract that allowed them to make deductions from your wages please?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

AH found the reply.


Not as far as i can remember , no , i didnt sign any contract but you can clearly see the deductions from my wages. He also this week took £115 as final payment for a weeks notice ( which he didnt give me he gave just 2 hrs ) and an extra £20 for holding the key for another 24 hrs!!!


Not only this he has taken an under payment of £30 we agreed back from the agents he uses ( called bar 2 ) to pay me.This was also deducted from my last weeks chq

Expert:  Ash replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. Unless you have agreed or signed a contract that allows them to make deductions then your employer can not. This is because it is unlawful to make these type of deductions without agreement. You should write to your employer and seek to recover these costs and say that unless they pay you within 14 days you will go to a tribunal. Make sure you send this recorded delivery and keep a copy. Then if payment is not made you can issue a claim at an Employment tribunal which you can do online at

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please? Alex

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below your Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.

Thank you,