How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 49816
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

my contract of employment says that I am entitled to 25 days

Customer Question

my contract of employment says that I am entitled to 25 days off per year and I also get an allowance for bank holidays. My work is closed on a bank holiday. My employer works out my public holiday allowance on what they say is a standard working day but because I actually work 8 and a half hours on a Monday they take off 8 and a half hours. I therefore end up with a deficit on my bank holiday hours, and they take that off my annual leave entitlement, can they do this? My annual leave is calculated in hours, I believe they have had my leave incorrect from a few years ago and despite me ,telling the they have carried forward the error. If the error is corrected, can I have the leave backdated or is it wrote off. They have said that the most I can carry forward is 10 rata. Does this mean my leave is lost? Can I get compensation for their error? I mean I have been scared take leave incase it has been wrong and they come back later asking for payment if they gave me too many but I think they have not given me enough?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 4 years ago.

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Does your contract actually state what the allowance for bank holidays is?

JACUSTOMER-twrdg7rd- : No, but the guidance says the allowance is worked out using my employers standard working day.