How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 49862
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I have been employed by my current company for three years,

Customer Question

I have been employed by my current company for three years, in the last year my senior who is also MD of the company has made my position with the company completely untenable (regularly required worked between 60-65 hours a week when only contracted to work and paid for 40; setting of unrealistic and unachievable targets and when things went wrong a real emphasis on blame culture and deliberate humiliation in front of my colleagues (to the point where colleagues pointed out that they were uncomfortable but we're told to shut up and continue to listen). This really came to a head just under three weeks ago when I walked out of work after one of those humiliation sessions. I went to my GP straight away and got signed off work for four weeks. I am currently getting SSP. I want to leave the company and have been seeking employment opps elsewhere. There is a good job which I have been asked to submit an expression of interest in. Problem is they want me start quickly but my notice period at current company is three months. My MD is not a reasonable person and I don't believe he will mutually agree a termination of my contract or provide me with a reference. I feel he has unfairly all the cards here, do I have any legal rights at all that will assist me in achieving this so I can put this behind me and move on?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 4 years ago.

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Ben Jones :

What do you hope to achieve?

JACUSTOMER-142hsimx- : I want to be released from my contract immediately with a reference so that I can pursue my career .
JACUSTOMER-142hsimx- : Hi Ben, you appear to have gone off line, not quite sure what has happened here...