How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 49823
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

False information regarding me has been published on an internet

Customer Question

False information regarding me has been published on an internet news site in the form of a comment where an ex colleague has stated he personally saw me bully and verbally abuse staff. What can I do about it?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 4 years ago.

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Ben Jones :

What do you hope to achieve please?

JACUSTOMER-wuk8kxgl- : A redaction of the published information
Ben Jones :

Hello sorry I was offline by the time you had replied last night. I fully understand that reading untruthful comments about yourself on a public forum can be upsetting. Whilst you may approach he person who made the comments and ask them to edit or remove them, if they refuse to do so, it will not be easy to force this through. In reality you will only be able to do this if you were to get a court order that requires the site to remove the comment. This will not be easy or cheap and to be honest should only be used as a last resort if the comments are either causing you financial loss or have serious consequences like losing your job.

In the meantime you could consider approaching the person who made the comments and telling them that their comments are defamatory, asking them to remove them and advising them that failure to do so could lead to you taking legal action to resolve the issue. This should hopefully be sufficient to remove the comments without any legal action but if that fails then the only way to remove these would be by going to court and trying to get a court order to force their removal.

Ben Jones :

Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this?