How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask taratill Your Own Question
taratill, Solicitor
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 6466
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
taratill is online now

I have been suspended from work for being arrested and charged

This answer was rated:

I have been suspended from work for being arrested and charged with assault in a domestic situation I proclaim I'm not guilty and the accusations have been beefed up.

Is It legal for the UK police to inform my employers of this ? ( as I believe my occupation is not on the reportable list)

is it Legal for work to suspend me ?

taratill : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I happy to help you. How long have you worked for your employer for?

Hi Jenny,


I have worked for my employer for 11 Years, Im a wholetime Firefighter.

taratill : Do you know for sure that it was the police who informed your employer?

Yes I was informed by a manager that the police and informed them of my arrest.



What is the reason the employer has given for suspending you ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi don't think the chat was working properly,


The employer stated they had been informed of my arrest for a domestic situation and are therefore going to suspend me and I will receive a letter from them in due-course( have not got that yet)


Hi does the letter specifically state that the police informed them or could they have been informed by someone else?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Have not got the letter yet!

I was told over the phone by a manager that the police had informed them.

does the person you are alleged to have assaulted also work for your employer?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, its my Wife who has alleged.

Ok thanks, XXXXX XXXXX are 2 issues here.

First the police have no right to inform your employer. If, in fact they have, (Could it be that your wife has informed them??), you have grounds to raise a complaint of breach of confidence.

Equally a domestic dispute, even where an arrest is involved would not normally give an employer the right to suspend or take disciplinary action against the employer as it has no impact on the workplace. I would suggest you wait for the letter and potentially raise a grievance with both the employer and the police.

If you have any further questions please ask. Please remember to rate my answer as it is an important part of the process.
taratill and other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok thanks Jenny,


It was definitely the police who informed them as the Human resource's department has recently been amalgamated with the police and the county council to save money!

I'll wait for the letter.

and take it from from there.


Thank you

Well that does not give them the right to share information. You really do need to complain about that.

All the best. Do come back to me in the future if you need to.