How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask taratill Your Own Question
taratill, Solicitor
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 6466
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
taratill is online now

Hello ,I have worked for the company for 15 years with a clean

This answer was rated:

Hello ,I have worked for the company for 15 years with a clean record i was told yesterday that i have got 3 options ,resign with a cash sum,be given a cash sum and be demoted or take on a capablity proceedure.What should i do.The boss wants rid of me but has never had any concerns meeting or have i ever had any deciplinary meetings with him.

taratill : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to help you today. How long have you worked there for?

Hello Jenny,


15 years

taratill : Has something happened that has led them to say this to you?

nothing other than boss feels that i am too close to workforce and that i am too nice a guy


he feels that the workforce isnt doing enough but the work does get done

taratill : Hello what did you do when you were given this ultimatum, did you resign?

no he said go home and think about it i cant think about anything else i am 53 so i want to make sure i am protected


i said to him why didnt you respond to my request for a joint action plan meeting to address any issues


he did not answer other than he will be putting it in the hands of the companies HR advisors

Ok well it is unfair dismiissal and potentially also age discrimination if you are dismissed or forced to resign in those circumstances.

The employer does not have a fair reason to dismiss you or to ask you to resign and, as such, you can bring a claim.

You should raise a grievance about the employer's actions and make it clear you are unhappy. It is entirely inapproprate that you are being treated like this.

If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your quesiton I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you so would you recomend i see a solicitor

Yes you could do. You may find that your household insurance policy contains legal expenses insurance that will cover you in these circumstances.

All the best with this.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

because they have offered the other options how do i stand

It is inappropriate for you to be given an ultimatum in this manner. It may be that you will be offered a settlement agreement to leave (with a sum of money attached). You should not be placed on a capability procedure if there is no evidence that you are not capable to do your job.

You should raise a grievance about this as I have already suggested.

Please do take the time to rate my answer as it is an important part of the process.
taratill and 2 other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you