How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 49779
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I signed a settlement agreement with my employer for voluntary

This answer was rated:

I signed a settlement agreement with my employer for voluntary redundancy the terms were that I received my redundancy money three weeks from my leaving date or the date I signed the agreement which ever was the greater this time has now passed what should be my actions
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. have you spoken to your manager about the payment and the agreement and what is happening.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I have spoken to my Manager and he has not replied

Ok thank you leave it with me I need to look up a few things and then get my advice ready.I will post back on here when done there is no need to wait and you will receive an email when I have responded.
one last question have you received your last monthly pay
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I received my last months pay back on the 15th March

ok leave it with me I will get back ASAP
Many thanks for your patience. A settlement agreement is just a contract between you and the employer where each party promises to adhere to the terms of their side of the agreement. If a party fails to discharge its obligations under the agreement they would be acting in breach of contract and the whole agreement could potentially become void. You can then potentially take the matter further and pursue them for the losses you have incurred or even consider making a claim which you would not have been able to do had the agreement been in place, such as unfair dismissal to challenge the redundancy.

In the first instance you need to contract the employer and remind them of their breach of the agreement, advising them you re treating this as a breach of contract, nominate a date for payment (e.g. 7 days from the date of your letter) and advise them that if they fail to pay, you would have no other option but to pursue them for the money owed through the courts.

You may then make the claim at any time by going through, if you were just pursuing them for the money owed.

I hope this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating, or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Ben Jones and 2 other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you