How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 50165
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I joined my company as a home worker in Jan 2010 and work on

Customer Question

I joined my company as a home worker in Jan 2010 and work on average 3 days at home and 2 days in the office. I have received a new home working policy statement today which basically means they want to be more stringent on who is home based and as such I expect that will mean that my role / job will be made office base.

As this will involve significant travel costs what rights do I have to either seek additional salary, say no or claim redundancy payment

I do not want to leave but the financial implications would be significant (12k per annum)
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 3 years ago.

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What is the reason for these changes?

JACUSTOMER-hmx0fjvh- :

implementation of a roper home working policy as I think it was identified as a risk of not having one.

JACUSTOMER-hmx0fjvh- :


Ben Jones :

As your contracted position is changing you do have the right to challenge this, by seeking any of the proposed responses you mentioned.

You can say no, but that does not mean the employer cannot just force through the changes, If that happens you then have to consider how to deal with it and it would generally involve raising a grievance and eventually resigning and claiming constructive dismissal.

You can try and negotiate some compensation for the additional costs but you cannot force the employer to agree to this, but of course no harm in trying. They could eventually come to some form of an agreement.

This could also potentially amount to a redundancy if it can be shown that the employer n longer requires as many employees dong the particular job you are doing. However, you cannot force them to make you redundant and if they refuse then you are going back to the constructive dismissal option as well.

So these are your options and how you legally stand – eventually if nothing can be resolved you will go through a formal grievance at first and the final option is the constructive dismissal route.

Ben Jones :

Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? Thanks