How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask taratill Your Own Question
taratill, Solicitor
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 6466
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
taratill is online now

Hi, I have a grandson living with us and he was taken on as

This answer was rated:

Hi, I have a grandson living with us and he was taken on as an apprentice nearly 12 months ago. He signed a contract with the employer setting out hours of work and rates of pay and this was done in the presence of his 'agent' who recommended him to the company.
For the first 8 months the company did not pay him according to the contract and the conditions of work were not of the best, ***** ***** 4 months ago they forced my grandson to sign another contract, under duress and threat of sacking, for more poorly paid terms and slanted more in favour of the company. They have now decided that they will not keep on either of the apprentices and my grandson feels that they are making his conditions of work unbearable, almost forcing him out, with personal verbal abuse etc.
My grandson is looking for another job but wonders whether he can claim back any of the salary that the company failed to pay him under the first contract.

taratill :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. How long ago was the last time they failed to pay him in accordance with the original contract?


They have not paid him the full amount for as long as he has been working there

taratill :

In that case he can bring a claim in breach of contract and for unlawful deduction from wages. He should write first asking for them to pay within 7 days. If they decline to pay he can eitehr raise a claim in the county court or in the employment tribunals using the form he will find at

taratill :

If you have any further questions please do ask.

taratill and 2 other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you