To answer your specific questions:
1. Are we in a 'consultation' period now?
The likelihood is that you are. This would usually happen once the employer has advised that redundancies are likely and you are placed at risk of redundancy. You would then be consulted with the employer over the proposed redundancies and this would either need to be done collectively (if more than 20 people are to be made redundant) or via individual consultation meetings. This could simply be the start of the process but I expect more to come.
2. If a member of staff decides not to relocate, and takes redundancy, am I correct in saying this is NOT voluntary? If it's the statutory sum, surely this is not voluntary redundancy?
No, this is not voluntary redundancy, this would only occur if the employer says that redundancies will occur and asks for employees to come forward and volunteer themselves for redundancy, which is not the case here – you do not volunteer yourself for redundancy if you refuse alternative employment that is offered to you.
3. If a member of staff wishes to hand their notice in now, on the basis they do not wish to relocate on the terms given, are they entitled to a redundancy payout? I assume so as it has been communicated that people will relocate or be made redundant and a move date has been set? If not, when exactly is this meant to happen? It's very confusing!
Employees should not be handing in their notice at any stage because that would amount to resignation and in that case they would not be entitled to any redundancy. They have to signify their rejection of being relocated and then leave it for the employer to finalise the redundancy process and then issue the employees with notice of redundancy.
4. If we are to relocate on 1st November, and some staff are owed 3-months notice from the Company (for their length of service notice), I assume this is on top of any redundancy payout? ie. statutory redundancy and then taxed salary for 3-months? And, if the company want the member of staff to work out their 3-month notice period, I assume they can't force them to work it at the new offices? What would happen in this situation? We would still have the old offices.
Yes, if you are to be made redundant you will get your statutory redundancy pay and on top of that you will also get your notice period as per contract, as well as any outstanding holidays. The employer cannot force you to work at the new location unless there was some sort of relocation clause which could allow them to ask you to move on a temporary basis. If there isn’t, then you will likely be paid in lieu of notice or they could ask you to remain working in the current location.
5. Lastly, a very small team of staff is currently in discussion with the bosses about remaining at the current offices (and not relocating). If they allow this to happen, surely everyone is entitled to stay or request it? They will decline it but I don't understand how that would not be deemed as 'unfair dismissal'?
If the option of staying in the current offices exists then ideally everyone should be given this opportunity because the employer has a legal duty to offer those at risk of redundancy suitable alternative employment.
6. Lastly, are ALL employees entitled to be offered the same mileage compensation package? Or can the employer offer different mileage values to staff? Can they employer also offer incentives to some, but not others, in this relocation situation?
The employer can choose what package they want to offer individually to employees so not everyone will be entitled to the exact same compensation or incentives – that could depend on how much they want to keep certain staff and some could be offered better packages than others – that is not unlawful.
7. Am I right in saying that if an employee doesn't want to resign until they've tried working int he new location, they can opt to trial it for 4-weeks and then decided whether to relocate or take redundancy?
Yes that is correct, you have the right to a 4-week statutory trial in any new position that is offered to you before you decide whether you want to accept or reject it.