How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 50148
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

are there any trade union representatives who accompany employees

This answer was rated:

are there any trade union representatives who accompany employees at disciplinary hearings who are not in a trade union, possibly against payment?
Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Can you explain your situation a little more?


My employer has started a discipinary procedure against me. I am allowed to take either a trade union representative or another staff member to accompany me to the hearing. I am not a trade union member and I do not want to jeopardise the future of my two colleagues in the company. The company has only got four staff in total. I thus need to find an acceptable person to accompany me. Hence my original question. Any suggestions?

Ben Jones : This is a difficult situation unfortunately because i have not seen any ad hoc trade union representation as such in all the years i have worked in employment law. You would generally have to join a trade union and then use their services to get representation, which means you need to be a fully paid up member before you are allowed to use their reps to accompany you. There may be trade union reps who may offer their services outside of the union but that is quite rare and not something that would generally be advertised as their employer (the union) may not approve so it is more likely done through word of mouth than anything else. So the answer to your query is really no, unless you happen to come across someone who knows a union rep that may be willing to do this
Ben Jones and other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you