How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask taratill Your Own Question
taratill, Solicitor
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 6466
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
taratill is online now

I live on an island on a river, at my place of work, with a

This answer was rated:

I live on an island on a river, at my place of work, with a license to reside. Recently my employers have changed the mailing address of all company correspondence to a post office box which I am not privy to. This means all my personal mail, as well as that of my husband and sons is redirected to the PO Box and is opened by my employers. They argue that if the address has the charity name on it they are entitled to open it. However the postcode automatically puts the charity name on the address, there is no other option. In addition neither my husband nor my sons are employed by the Charity.
My son recently found out that a letter from the hospital addressed to him was returned to sender with 'no longer at the address' written on it, despite the employers being aware he still lives with us. As I am in dispute with them, and in the middle of a second grievance procedure, I see this as both harassment and also as denying my son his right to privacy.
Please advise
taratill : Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you. How long have you worked there for?
Customer: Eleven years
taratill :

Hello you are absolutely right to raise a grievance about this. It amounts to a breach of trust and confidence and is also potentially a criminal offence contrary to s. 88 of the Postal Services Act 2000.

taratill :

I would suggest that you say that if this is not rectified you will have to consider your options which may include resigning as an employee and claiming constructive dismissal and also reporting them for the offences under the Act.

taratill :

You can also report the issue to the Royal Mail by calling 08457 740 740

Customer: I have already tasked them to rectify this and they refuse. My grievance is in relation to bullying and this is part of that, intimidating both myself and my family in order to get me to leave.
Customer: however it seems no-one, police, Royal Mail or anyone else is willing do do anything. I don't want to leave my job as I live on site, would lose my home and my job involves animals which I cannot just leave
Customer: where can I turn
taratill :

Hi I'm really sorry but if you are not prepared to leave your job and you have already reported the incidents and the Police and Royal Mail are not going to take action it seems there is very little you can do. The only exception to this might be in the event that you can show that a financial loss has been suffered as a result of the actions in which case you may be able to consider a civil action against the employer but this seems to be unlikely on the basis of the facts that you have given me.

taratill :

Please let me know if there is anything further you would like to know about this. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.

taratill and other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you