How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 50137
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I am band 6 nurse I work as a shift worker i was suspended

This answer was rated:

I am band 6 nurse I work as a shift worker i was suspended from work for 6 months in 2010 together with 2 other colleagues those colleagues later approached management for them to be paid unsocial hours for the 6 months that we were suspended.I just realises that I was supposed to be paid 6 months unsocial hours as well. Can I make any claims now after 4 years.
Ben Jones : Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Are you still employed by the same employer?


Ben Jones :

If these were payments to which you were entitled to at the time you may indeed try to pursue these now from the employer. The fact that this was supposed to be paid to you a few years ago does not really change anything and whether this was due last week or 4 years ago, the fact is that you are still legally entitled to be paid. Had you been the one owing the employer money they could have chased you for it now so it is only right that you can do the same.

The issue is that if they refuse to pay you, then you will have to consider your options on how to take this further. Your only option would be to make a claim for breach of contract in the county court. So you will have to take your current employer to court over this. This should not affect your employment with them because you should not be treated detrimentally for claiming against them but it may not make you the most popular person in the workplace. Still it is your legal right to pursue this if you have to and whilst I suggest you try and resolve this directly with them, if that does not work then you can resort to the legal route. You can make the claim online via

Hope this clarifies your position? If you could please let me know that would be great, thank you

Ben Jones and other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you