How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 50202
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

Hi - I have been made aware that my company will be terminating

This answer was rated:

Hi - I have been made aware that my company will be terminating a major contract and this will mean that I along with my other collogues are likely to be made will be made redundant. Although its not been officially announced, most likely sometime next month.
Having said that, I have been offered a job elsewhere and was wondering if its legally possible to sign a contract to start in 3 months time with the new job( which is my notice period with the present company). However I don't want to hand in my notice just yet with my current job as I'm worried about loosing my redundancy package, (that's if I'm offered one). I need on advise on what would be the best course of action. Your help is appreciated!
Ben Jones : Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Whilst there is nothing stopping you from signing such a contract, the issue is if the redundancy gets delayed and you find yourself getting closer to the start date and without having being issued with notice of redundancy. It means you would either have to resign (in which case you would still be expected to work your notice period) or if the employer issues you with notice of redundancy at a later date then you may be expected to work through it and that can take you over the start date with the new company. So there is nothing that would guarantee you start the new job on time AND get your redundancy. The best is probably to agree a flexible starting date with the new employer and advise them that whilst 3 months is the likely scenario that it could be delayed depending on what the current employer does. In any event a degree of risk will exist and that is unfortunately inevitable.

Ben, Thank you for your advise. I think the best course of action is to delay things with the new employer until hopefully I get a clearer picture with the new employer.


Best Regards




I mean clearer picture with my present employer

Ben Jones : Yes that is the best option and keeping them constantly in the loop will show them that you are keen on the job and hopefully they will understand that you are going to be restricted roman extent by what the employer is doing

Ok Ben, thanks again for your advise

Ben Jones and other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you