How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 49817
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

Good evening, I would like to seek advise. I'm self employed

This answer was rated:

Good evening, I would like to seek advise. I'm self employed working as a courier(contractor self employed). He is directed contractor called panthers and he receiving money every week from them Im driving as well but all money goes though his name and his account. He missed few payments or not paying full amount which I earned. At the moment He owes me over than £5000 plus vat. I would like to find out what's my rights in this case. I will appreciate any help.
Ben Jones : , my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. When did the money become due ?

I agreed to wait untill end of last year but I did not received it and since new year his debt increased even more. F.e. last week i have not received any payment.


And f.e there was many ocassions that i sent him invoice for £1800 but he pays only £1300 etc.

Ben Jones :

Whenever a dispute arises over money owed by one party to another, the debtor can be pursued through the civil courts of the debt. As legal action should always be seen as a last resort, there are certain actions that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve the courts. It is recommended that the process follows these steps:

  1. Reminder letter – if no reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the debtor to voluntarily pay what is due.

  2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but these have been ignored, the debtor must be sent a formal letter asking them to repay the debt, or at least make arrangements repayment, within a specified period of time. A reasonable period to demand a response by would be 10 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to recover the debt. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need action.

  3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to Once the claim form is completed it will be sent to the debtor and they will have a limited time to defend it. If they are aware legal proceedings have commenced it could also prompt them to reconsider their position and perhaps force them to contact you to try and resolve this.

Whatever correspondence is sent, it is always advisable to keep copies and use recorded delivery so that there is proof of delivery and a paper trail. The court may need to refer to these if it gets that far.

Hope this clarifies your position? If you could please let me know that would be great, thank you

Ben Jones :

, I see you have accessed and read my answer to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else in relation to this? I just need to know whether to close the question or not? Thanks


Thank you . Its very valuable and helpful . I have another doubt. What if i will sent him first letter he will ring me back to make some sort of repayment plan and he will fail to pay but i will not have any confirmation as it was made via phone. Should i demand confiration wrriten down on the paper or conversation thougt the phone will be valid as a proof as well?

Ben Jones :

yes always try and get confirmation in writing, but even if he agrees to this and fails to pay it you can still pursue him original amount

Ben Jones :

or some people record these conversations and have the recording as prof, that is also legal

Ben Jones :

If your original question has been answered I would be grateful if you could please quickly rate my answer - it only takes a second to do and is an important part of our process. I can still questions afterwards if needed. Thank you

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm very sorry i accidentaly click bad service as a rating i tried to change it but i can't do this. Is there any chnce to update rating?

, no problem at all I will get this amended at our end. Thanks
Ben Jones and other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you