How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 50174
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I feel constantly stressed at work. My employer has a large

This answer was rated:

I feel constantly stressed at work. My employer has a large Personnel department and advanced grievance/disciplinary procedures based on ACAS guidelines yet persistently grossly exceeds recommended time scales appeals. A failed appeal wasn't heard and a half months and I have been waiting appeal nine months now. ACAS advise their guidelines are NOT backed by Employment Law. Do I have any protection as this constant stress is affecting my work and home life? Any help would be much appreciated. Many thanks,
Charles Tabor
Ben Jones : , my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How long have you worked there for?

Ben, Just over ten years

Ben Jones :

Apologies slight delay, I experienced some temporary connection issues earlier on. All seems to be resolved now so I can continue with my advice.

It is true that the ACAS guidelines are just that – guidelines and do not have firm legal backing. What it means in reality is that if an employer fails to deal with disciplinary or grievance procedures in accordance with the ACAS Code, if the employee then presents a valid claim in the employment tribunal, it can increase the employee’s compensation by up to 25%. However, you cannot just make a complaint to follow the Code and you are looking at making some other claim first, such as dismissal, constructive dismissal or discrimination. In your case the most likely claim would be dismissal, but to pursue this you would have to resign from your job first, so it can be risky. If you do not wish to do so then your only options of pursuing this would be through the internal grievance process.

Hope this clarifies your position? If you could please let me know that would be great, thank you


Yes that's great. Thank you very much Ben.

Ben Jones :

you are welcome, all the best

Ben Jones and other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you