How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 15902
Experience:  30 years experience as a solicitor.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I have an employee who has only worked 6 days so far this year.

This answer was rated:

I have an employee who has only worked 6 days so far this year. She didn't return to work after her Christmas holiday until the 12th Jan, worked 6 days and has not been back to work. When she did come to work she told me she has been having relationship problems with her boyfriend. She then did not come to work on 20 Jan and tried to contact her by text and phone but she would not answer. I eventually contacted her on the 4th Feb and told her that her employment was terminated as I had not been contacted and was given no reason for her absence. Today, 5 Jan, she has issued me with a form for statutory sick pay saying she is suffering from anxiety and depression. Do I have to pay it?
How long has the person worked for you?
Have any medical certificates been submitted to you?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
She has worked for me for less than 2 years and has supplied no medical certificates.
If she's worked for you for less than two years and as long as there's no discrimination aspect to this, then you can fire her as in fact you have done.
JGM and other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you