How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 12088
Experience:  30 years experience as a solicitor.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I was just investigating where I stand with regards ***** *****

This answer was rated:

Hi I was just investigating where I stand with regards ***** ***** contract. I have just been advised today that my manager no longer believes I am right for the job. I am on six months notice but only been in the job for a year. Early stages of trying to find out my rights.
You have to have two year's employment before you get any rights in relation to performance. If they don't think you are right they can terminate your employment. Unless the dismissal relates to the equality legislation, you have no recourse to a Tribunal, I'm afraid.
Happy to discuss further.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks but that's pretty much what I had already gleened from the first page I looked at. When you opened up the conversation and saw what I was looking into I was hoping you were going to offer something a little more.

What more would you like? You said that you were looking into your rights. My answer was that you have none unless the dismissal contravenes the equality legislation. I am happy to answer any further specific queries you have.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks and I understand the job you're doing but sometimes it only feels right to not encourage progressing on some subjects if there really is very little to add. Which it feels like in my case and from my introductory statement.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.


I was having another think about the question I was asking and wondering if I pose it differently is there something more you can advise on.

I appreciate I have no recourse if I am employed for less than a year however, I am on 6 months notice. If I decide that I don't want to go what happens next? I'm assuming they have to serve me my notice. What would I be entitled to? What could I reasonably ask for?

What could they reasonably expect me to work?


They either have to let you work your notice or pay you for six moths in lieu of notice.
JGM and other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you