How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 50150
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I am a self employed graphic designer in the UK. I have

This answer was rated:

I am a self employed graphic designer in the UK.
I have a client (Ltd company) who I have worked for many years (I also used to be a director of a previous company) and he merged this previous company in with another company about 18 months after I left. I subsequently carried on working with him at this new company.
He has now left this company and reset up on his own under a new Ltd company name and I have again started working with him as well as maintaining working with the company he has just left.
However he and the company he has left are now in dispute over the client base etc and the matter is going to go into a legal battle between the two parties.
My question is; first can you confirm that this has nothing to do with me as I have no contracts in place with either party and any work I have done for the clients in dispute has been done on request of the company asking me to do so.
And secondly if they go to court would I be made to give evidence if requested to do so?
Kind regards
Ben Jones : Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. It would not appear that you will be held liable for anything. This is a dispute between the two parties, you may have done work for both but you have simply followed their requests and not done anything underhand so I do not see any issues for you in that respect. In terms of giving evidence they could ask you to voluntarily ask you to act as a witness. You are free to choose whether you wish to do so or not. If you refuse then they have the option of asking the court to issue a witness order summoning you to appear as a witness. If you ignore that then it could be more serious as it can amount to contempt of court. However it is not easy to get such orders and they may not even apply for one. So unless you get a formal witness order from the court you are not obliged to act as a witness
Ben Jones : hope this clarifies your position?

Thanks Ben, much appreciated

Ben Jones :

you are welcome, all the best

Ben Jones and other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you