How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 12188
Experience:  30 years experience as a solicitor.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

JGM, I am the General Manager of an hoticultural nursery

This answer was rated:

I am the General Manager of an hoticultural nursery earning £47k/year.The parent company has recently been taken over by another business. They have effectively demoted me and reduced my salary to £41k. The new GM wants me to become 'commercial manager'.There is a further appointment about to be made in the business further diluting my role there and I feel 'unsettled'
Is this part of a reorganisation of the business by the new owner as a result of which your original role is no longer required?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Apologies - I have been at work!

There has been no formal restructuring of the business. The new general manager has taken over many of my former duties. Today I was given a new contract to sign as the commercial manager - 5 weeks after reducing my salary. I don't want to be the commercial manager - what are my options?

You options are to sign the new contract or to refuse to sign and consider making a tribunal claim on the basis that you don't agree with your change in status and salary decrease.
You still have the same employer notwithstanding the change of ownership of the parent company.
They can't do this to you unless you agree. Generally if you don't agree they would have to make your position redundant and pay you whatever redundancy you are entitled to. Although there has been no formal restructuring there is a potential redundancy situation in that part of your job has been taken over by another person.
If that happens there has to be a consultation about your future role in the company and if you refuse that future role they have to deal with that.
They can't just unilaterally change your role and your salary in the way that you describe.
You should either raise a grievance with them directly or, better still, seek a meeting with a local employment lawyer for assistance in doing so.
JGM and other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you