How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask taratill Your Own Question
taratill, Solicitor
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 6463
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
taratill is online now

If I dismissed an employee due to poor performance and insubordination.

This answer was rated:

If I dismissed an employee due to poor performance and insubordination. Then re-employed this person after they convinced me they had changed their ways.
Now, I wish to dismiss this person again, does the employment period prior to first dismissal count as continuous employment.
I am asking as if this person doesn't have one year continuous employment then it makes my dismissal easier I believe.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. How long after they were initially dismissed did you reinstate them?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

One Month.

And how long have they worked for you in total over both periods of employment?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jenny,

1.5 years, with one Month gap

In that case you are completely safe from an unfair dismissal claim as the law changed over a year ago and an employee now needs at least 2 year's continuous service to bring a claim.
The only possible claim that could be brought in these circumstances would be one of discrimination if they could argue that the treatment was on the basis of age, sex, disability, religious belief, race, pregnancy or for raising a health and safety or other whistleblowing complaint.
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
taratill and other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you