How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 49816
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I recently walked out of my job , does the employer have to

Customer Question

i recently walked out of my job , does the employer have to pay me for the hours that i have worked
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Why did you leave?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I had been in the job for 10 weeks, I had great difficulty getting answers to questions regarding my job, which meant that I was unable to do the job to the best of my ability. The final straw was after asking a question I just got abuse from another member of staff. I left as I was very upset I have tried contacting the employer since walking out but they will not respond to my calls.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

did you get my reply

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 years ago.
yes I will respond shortly
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 years ago.
Even if you walk out of your job you would be entitled to be paid for any hours worked up to that date as well as any accrued holidays. The employer cannot avoid paying you for time worked before leaving otherwise it would amount to unlawful deduction of wages.
If the employer refuses to pay you what you are owed, then in order to try and resolve this, the employer should be contacted in writing, advised that this is being treated as unlawful deduction of wages and ask them to pay back the money within 7 days. Advise them that if they fail to pay the money that is owed, legal proceedings could follow.
If the employer does not return the money as requested, the following options are available:
1. Employment Tribunal - the time limit to claim is only 3 months from the date the deductions were made. To make the claim, form ET1 needs to be completed and submitted - you can find it here:
2. County Court – this is an alternative way to claim and the advantage is that the time limit is a much longer 6 years and is usually used if you are out of time to claim in the Tribunal. The claim can be made online by going to:
Hopefully by warning the employer you are aware of your rights and are not going to hesitate taking further action they will be prompted to reconsider their position and work towards resolving this.
I hope this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating, or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I see you have accessed and read my answer to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? I just need to know whether you need further help or if I can close the question? Thank you