How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 50161
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I have been underpaid at work period

This answer was rated:

I have been underpaid at work for Christmas period when the office was closed but it was considered as I have taken an unpaid leave. I have tried to resolve the issue directly but unsuccessfully. I then involved ACAS where the company refused to resolve the matter. Unfortunately I had to file a claim with Employment tribunal and paid £160 for an application. The company insists that it was my decision not to come to work however the office was closed (there are only 3 people, 2 of them are owners!!) so once more they did not negotiate. Now the claim goes into hearing that will cost me further £230. The outstanding amount is about £1200 but I truly believe it was unfair to hold it from me. More so it was paid correctly in December but withheld back from January salary. I would like to go to hearing but have nobody to represent me. I can not afford a solicitor however I am not eligible for a free help. What are my options please? Who can help me with legal representation and what else can I do to minimise my expenses.
Best Regards
Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. If you cannot afford a soLicitor and also cannot get free help then you do not have many other options unfortunately. Usually if you are a member of a union you can get their help but I assume you are not and it would be rather difficult to get them to help you at such short notice, especially as their membership may prevent representation for a set period after joining.
You may be surprised to hear that a lot of claimants actually represent themselves. I have been on the other side of many unrepresented claimants and it is not at all uncommon. You are not expected to have any in depth legal knowledge and for the best part the judge would guide you and can ask the employer relevant questions. Sp this would be the best way to save costs and may also be your only option anyway.
I hope this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating, or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Ben Jones and other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you