How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask taratill Your Own Question
taratill, Solicitor
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 6466
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
taratill is online now

I am going to resign from my job of nearly 9 years

This answer was rated:

I am going to resign from my job of nearly 9 years on Monday. I am on a 3 month notice however my new job is going to start in exactly one month. I did not say to my employer that my notice is so long otherwise he would never hire me as it is an extremly long time to wait. I work as a team assistant not on management position. I need an advice of what would be the best way to end my relationship with the current employer in one month time and what can I do if they won't agree to let me go earlier. Thank you. Regards, Ewa
Hello my name is***** am a specialist employment lawyer and I am happy to help you today. Is your current employer likely to suffer a financial loss as a result of this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi. No, if anything they can even benefit by hiring internally and cheaper but that's their choice.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Other assistants in my company have 1 month notice which isn't fair.
If your current employer will not suffer a financial loss if you leave early then there is no risk in you leaving early. You should tell your current employer that you have a new job to go to and that you will leave earlier than than your contractual notice date to start it. I think it is unlikely but they may threaten you that they will sue you in breach of contract if you do leave early as technically it is a breach but they can only sue you for a financial loss. If there is not one then they simply will not do so. Many employees leave without giving their full contractual notice. Obviously you will not be paid for any period of notice you do not work. Good luck in your new role. If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your questions I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
taratill and other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you
Hi you should write to the employer to say. 'Dear employer, I am writing to inform you that it is my intention to resign my employment. My contract of employment has a notice period of 3 months however I have been offered a new position which will commence on x date. Please will you agree to forward my termination date to y date? Yours sincerely ***** ***** refuse to do so then you should let them know that it is your intention to leave on that date in any event. Good luck.