How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 49834
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I am 44 years old.i have Parkinson's in full time employment.i

This answer was rated:

Hi.i am 44 years old.i have Parkinson's in full time employment.i currently do a very manual and physical struggling with my mobility.they don't have another job role for me.can I be medically released or have I just got to leave and hope I can get re employed.or am I entitled to help from gov if not able to work.
Thank you
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified solicitor and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.can you tell me have you seen a doctor and been told you have a disability please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have had Parkinson's for 3 years.i have been with the same company for 7years in Jan 2016.
Thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and will get back to you as soon as possible. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience delays.
Many thanks for your patience. You have a couple of options here. One is to ask the employer if they can retire you on medical grounds, basically giving you early retirement. This is generally best if you do not plan on working again due to your condition and it can give you early access to your pension if necessary. You are not committed to retirement though so if you do find a new job you could start working in it. Alternatively you could ask them to terminate your employment on grounds of capability, where you are effectively being dismissed for not being able to perform your job.
The other option is to resign and just leave voluntarily in that way. The issue there is that if you were to seek benefits afterwards, their payment could be delayed for up to 26 weeks whilst they determine why you had left. That is because they do not like paying benefits to people who have placed themselves out of a job, rather than been dismissed and whilst I do not anticipate that there would be such a long delay, some delay may be possible.
In terms of the help you can get whilst not working, or even if working on low income, you can get help form the Government, although your eligibility would depend on many other factors so it would be best if you check this yourself here:
I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for help.will have a look at early retirement but not sure my pension is worth a lot.would I just get state pension? Or just my private one? also if I went for grounds of capability would that be classed as sacked.would I get help straight away? I have applied for a few jobs but when you say Parkinson's that's it really.
Thank you
Yes you may also get state pension but that depends on a number of factors and it is for a pensions advisor to discuss with, oensions and employment laws are actually two separate areas. If your employer decides to terminate your employment on grounds of capability then it is still considered a dismissal, but not the same as a misconduct dismissal. If you qualify for benefits then you should get them reasonably soon after having your employment terminated. And dont give up on finding a new job, ther are soecific websites which cater for disabled people, such as Evenbreak, Remploy, etc
If your original question has been answered I would be grateful if you could please quickly rate my answer by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page - it only takes a second to do and is an important part of our process. I can still answer follow up questions afterwards if needed. Thank you
Ben Jones and other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you