How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 50161
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

Am I able to access all information (e.g. meeting notes, e-mails

This answer was rated:

Am I able to access all information (e.g. meeting notes, e-mails etc) that my employer holds on file about me? If so, what is the procedure?
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified solicitor and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.can you tell me what do you hope to achieve by this is there a problem with your employer and how long have you been employed there please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I believe that my employer abused an unfortunate situation and tried to work this to their own advantage by encouraging a colleague to lodge a complaint. After an extensive independent investigation I was found not guilty, i.e. the complaint was not upheld. I need to establish who acted in what way, and what information was given to senior management that encouraged them to seek an apology from me, without advising what the apology was for! Employed for 20 years.
Thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and will get back to you as soon as possible. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience delays.
Many thanks for your patience. Section 7 of the Data Protection Act 1998 entitles an individual to request from a data controller a copy of any information which amounts to personal data about them. The process is known as a Subject Access Request (SAR). You can only get details which amount to personal information about you. If you wish to make a SAR, you need to write to the organisation that holds the data in question. Your letter should include the following information:• Make it clear that you are making a 'subject access request in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998';• Provide details of the data you are requesting copies of;• Your main personal details - full name, date of birth and address;• Any information you believe the organisation will require to find your information. The organisation may ask for a fee to fulfil your request, which should not be more than £10. Once you have provided all the relevant information and fee, the organisation must send you a formal response within 40 days.Particular care must be taken by the data controller not to disclose any non-relevant personal data (i.e. data that belongs to another individual) or other confidential information. Therefore, when responding to your request, they may remove data or be selective in what they supply, so long as this is justifiable. In addition, there is certain data that is exempt from discourse and that includes personal data held for personal, family or household affairs, confidential references given by the data controller for employment and personal data subject to legal privilege.I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Ben Jones and other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you