How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 50191
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

My employer has done a formal performance review on capabilities.

This answer was rated:

My employer has done a formal performance review on capabilities. I think the process has been unfair and the informal review wasn't following the Trust policies and is giving me unnecessary stress. I have the e-mail trails that shows the details. I belong to the union, however they are not able to represent as some of the event are before the join date (17/10/15). Would you recommend me to contact a lawyer to look into my situation?
Many Thanks
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. can you firstly tell me the length of service with the trust and have you raised a grievance please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
HelloIt will be two years on 20/01/16. I haven't started a grievance. Although when I spoke to one of the HR advisor, they suggested that
Thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and will get back to you as soon as possible. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience delays.
Many thanks for your patience. Using a solicitor at this stage is going to be a rather pointless exercise as the issues are internal and the employer is not required to deal with a solicitor. One can only really get involved if there is a formal claim being considered or pursued, such as through the employment tribunal. You would really need to pursue this matter internally, such as through the employer’s own grievance procedure. If a lawyer tries to get involved, the employer can refuse to deal with them if there is no formal claim taking place and you will just be wasting your money on them. As far as a claim is concerned, the failure of an employer to conduct a fair performance procedure does not in itself give rise to any claim. It could prompt you to resign and make a claim for constructive dismissal but you can only do this if you have more than 2 years’ service, which you do not currently have. There is the potential of making a discrimination claim if the reasons for you being treated unfairly are due to a protected characteristic, such as a disability, or your gender, age, race, religion, but you would have to show that these are the reasons for the employer treating you detrimentally re due to these factors. If that is the case, then you could consider making a claim in the tribunal for discrimination, which does not require any minimum service, and a solicitor could get involved in the pre-claims process. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Ben Jones and 2 other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your answer. Do you mean "formal claim" a grievance procedure? If I start a grievance procedure against my employer, could I get a lawyer to represent me in the interview process? Would it make any difference if I make the grievance on the 20/1/16 (2 years service)?
Many thanks
Hello, by formal claim i mean a tribunal claim, which is different to a formal grievance. You cannot use a lawyer to get involved in the grievance process, it is an internal matter. It makes no difference for the grievance how much service you have but it is a requirement for the claim in the tribunal