How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask taratill Your Own Question
taratill, Solicitor
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 6428
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
taratill is online now

I work at a senior level in a University. Recently, I felt

This answer was rated:

I work at a senior level in a University. Recently, I felt I had to resign, and did so, because the top team had placed me in an impossible position. Agreeing that I should announce a major procurement to the market and my team and then, just a few weeks later, withdrawing the funding - very damaging to my own reputation in my particular field as well as in my team.
Do I have any basis on which to seek compensation?
Hello Gerry my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. How long did you work at the university for?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am still there but working out my notice. 2.5 years.
Have you raised a grievance about this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have vigorously complained, in writing. But not a formal grievance per se.
Have you said you are leaving because of this decision?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Have you received a response? If so what is it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That's complicated. Invited to a series of meetings. I don't think the one person who had the ability to reverse the decision wanted to over-rule the (relatively newly appointed) individual who drove it.
If a decision has been made by your employment that goes to the root of your contract and makes your continued employment untenable then you can claim constructive unfair dismissal. You would have to demonstrate the Employment Tribunal that you have tried to put matters right by raising a grievance (which you have done) and that you are placed in a position where there is no alternative but to resign. As you have done this then your next step is to raise early conciliation via Acas. You will find their details at this does not result in a resolution then your next step would be the Employment Tribunal and you can lodge a claim at there anything further you would like to know?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, thanks in terms of the process. I guess i was interested in getting a perspective on how likely such a course of action would be to succeed (given that I know it would be fairly painful and not reputation-enhancing in itself).
The key issue is whether it really does leave you with no alternative but to resign. It is difficult to assess as it would depend on the evidence presented to the employment tribunal. In the situation you describe it might depend on the reason for the withdrawal and whether it is reasonable for you to treat this as sufficient reason to resign.
You have stated this would affect your reputation. If you can evidence this in real terms then this will support your claim.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What do you mean by 'in real terms'? I'm not sure how I can demonstrate it, even though I know it!
One way would be by producing witness statements of how it might affect the opinions of others towards you.
taratill and other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK. I could probably arrange that.
The fact is that if you are at the stage where you have genuinely needed to resign there is simply nothing to lose by at least starting the ACAS conciliation process. This might result in a settlement. If not then maybe try to arrange a free initial consultation with an employment solicitor. Many thanks for your rating. All the best.