How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 49866
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I'm self employed. I've been underpaid and the contractor

This answer was rated:

Hi. I'm self employed. I've been underpaid and the contractor is about to pay £880.00 to a third party without my consent.
I'm about to write a letter to him asking for the unpaid amount. Any help please
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What specific help do you require please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I'm self employed. I've underpaid wages by £880.00. The contractor said he intends to pay this amount without my authorisation or legal consent to a third party.
I've complained verbally to no avail.
I need help and advice regarding unpaid wages in wording a letter .
Thank you
You can write a letter along the following lines: Dear X I am writing in relation to the sum of £880 which I am owed by you in relation to [detail of works for which this relates to]. I understand that you have indicated you are planning on using this sum to pay [name of third party], however please be advised that you do not have my consent, either implied or under contract, to do so. The money is owed directly to me and failure to pay it would amount to a breach of contract on your part. I would request that the outstanding amount is paid to me within 7 days of the date of this letter, otherwise I reserve the right to take the matter further, including to the Small Claims Court. Please also be advised that in accordance with the late payment legislation, I will also add interest on late payments of 8.5% (i.e. the current reference rate plus 8%). I look forward to hearing from you. [END] I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Ben Jones and 2 other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you