How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Remus2004 Your Own Question
Remus2004, Advocate
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 71056
Experience:  I am a barrister
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Remus2004 is online now

Approx 5 years ago I was accused of steeling money from

This answer was rated:

Hi, Approx 5 years ago I was accused of steeling money from a vulnerable adult. It was completely untrue but the police made a mess of the investigation and I ended up in court. On the first day of court the judge through it out as half the evidence wasn't there and it was impossible for me to be proved guilty or indeed myself to prove my innocent.
Some files had been destroyed by the police and it was deemed an error on the part of the inspector in charge
What I would like to know would this information show on an enhanced DBS ??
If is would can I dispute it ?? I was innocent and non of this was within my control ?
Thank you
Is the entry written to reveal that you were acquitted?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am not 100% sure.
We were stood in court and once it was revealed that the information had been distoyed the judge dismissed everyone. I was so upset by the whole thing I don't really remember.
You can find out what information is held upon you by making a SAR at any police station.This will be on your PNC and maybe on your enhanced DBS if deemed relevant to the application you are making.It should be written in a way that makes clear that the allegation was tested and not found compelling.
If it is not then you can apply for that to be remedied under the DPA.You can also ask the police not to reveal it on DBS checking. That is not really realistic though I'm afraid. Many people do ask, receive a refusal and then judicially review the decision. That is expensive to do and has a low chance of success but it can be the only chance of some people.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So there is a strong chance that this information will be added to an enhanced DBS application ?
Yes, the chances they would not add it are low.The police tend to be risk adverse.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If I was acquitted would that also show ? If not a convicted could an employer still refuse it as not clean ?
Yes, it should be written in a way that reveals you were acquitted.An employer shouldn't take notice of it but we all know the reality.I would resign yourself to having to explain it.
If you can offer a reasonable explanation then it should not have any impact.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My barrister advised I officially complained to the police for their blunder at the time but I was just so upset by the whole episode I didn't bother. Now I wonder if I should. Hindsight a wonderful thing
You can do that but I woudn't suggest it. Some people have different views but there are two issues here. The first is that they didn't blunder. That is all a load of nonsense. They received an allegation which had to be investigated. They might well not have wanted to make a decision that was difficult but that is a different matter. The second is that even if they had made a firm decision and sat upon it the allegation would still show on your DBS. Also, it is never a good idea to make complaints in my experience. It just creates a motive for people to want to act against you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think you misunderstand me. The police admitted to distroying relevant paperwork by mistake.
The papers destroyed where over three years old and an email was sent to the investigating officer to ask if they could be destroyed. The officer did not respond to the email so they were disposed of. The case file produced had half the information missing including vital receipts that could have proved my innocence. I did receive an apology from the police force for their mistake.
Well, either way, it would still be on your DBS.I wouldn't press the issue beyond an apology. It is not going to get better than an apology.
Remus2004 and other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you