Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

16100124-433. The company I work just introduced a

16100124-433.
The company I work for has just introduced a new sickness policy which we all had to sign. the new ruling is if we have 1 day sick leave we will not be paid for 3 days, even if we have a sick note is this legal.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Do you mean you will not be paid for 3 sick days?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, that is the new policy.
It is legal. Statutory sick pay (SSP), your entitlement to sick pay by law, only kicks in if you have been off sick for 4 or more days. The first 3 days you are not eligible for SSP. Your employer could decide to pay you for these days but that is down to them, it is left at their discretion – if they do not want to they do not have to. They must obey the rules n paying SSP but these only apply after 4 or more days of sickness so if they really wanted to they could pay nothing for the first 3 days then just pay you SSP for the 4th day of sickness onwards. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you