How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 50202
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I was employed by company a whereby the starting salary was

This answer was rated:

I was employed by company a whereby the starting salary was £20,000 plus 15% profit sharing scheme. Company a paid me £17500 for the first 12 months and then raised the salary to 20k and failed to pay the 15% profit share. I am looking at making a claim for £17500 for breach of contract and I am assuming I cannot make such a large claim through small claims court. Which court should I submit the breach to and do I have to go through a solicitor ? can I represent myself?
Hello when was the money due?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was made redundant in feb 2016. I commenced employment in October 2014 and they should have paid £20k as salary plus profit share per quarter. But they never did and kept leading me on like a honey trap.
How did you arrive at the figure of £17,500?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've calculated my share of profit share and shortfall in salary payment.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just need to figure out how tomske the claim for breach of contract and compensation.
The small claims court, which is still the county court, is the venue for claims under £10k. Anything above that will still go in the county court but a different venue, like the fast track or multi track. You still start the claim in the same way as in the small claims court but it is allocated to the relevant track by the court and proceeds from there. So you can make the claim online via or by filling out form N1 and posting it. You do not need a solicitor and can represent yourself if you want to. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Ben Jones and other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Ben, I will follow this up.
You are welcome, all the best