How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 49819
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

Employment-law question , after 18th months with the same

This answer was rated:

Employment-law question , after 18th months with the same company and without a written contract , what is the minimum notice period to inform an employee of a change in is weekly hours ? 5 days are enough ?
That notice need to be in writing or a A4 leaflet on a fridge is enough ?
Thank you
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. have the hours always been consistent to date?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes for 18th months , 42.5 hours a week (Monday/Friday).
There are a few ways in which an employer may try and make changes to an employee’s contract of employment. These are by:· Receiving the employee’s express consent to the changes.· Forcefully introducing the changes (called 'unilateral change of contract').· Giving the employee notice to terminate their current contract and then offer them immediate re-engagement under a new contract that contains the new terms. The most appropriate option in this case would be the third one – giving notice to terminate the current contract and re-issue a new one with the changes. This is because someone with less than 2 years’ service is not protected against unfair dismissal which means that their employment can be terminated for more or less any reason. All that is required is that they are given the contractual notice period due on termination. In the absence of a contract and a contractual notice period, the minimum statutory notice period would apply, which is 1 week. So the employer can give this person a week’s notice to terminate their existing contractual arrangements and after that re-employ them on a new contract which incorporates the changes as the new terms. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.
Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.
Ben Jones and other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At the attention of Mr Jones , I'm on a full time job in the hospitality industry ,
I have been sick for two days (22nd and 23rd of March ) and when I contact my employer the second day ( the 23rd ) to let him know I wasn't able to go back to work until the next Monday ( the 28th ) he informed me with a txt message of some changes in my shifts the following week , giving me just two working days advice( or four days , counting Saturday and Sunday ,my days off) .
My new shift was reduced to 5 hours the following week ( Monday 28th to Friday 1st ) and 10th hours (two shift of 5 hours each ) the following two weeks (4th of April to the 9th and 11th to 16th ) . That change as effected my SSP payment , can I complain ? Do I have the right to ask for a full refund of the missing days of sickness ?
Thank you
Hello as this is a separate query to the original one please post it as a new question, starting it with 'for Ben Jones' thanks