taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters

If i wish to take off annual leave and my company wont let

if i wish to take off annual leave and my company wont let me because they say i need to accrue it after working there for two and a half years. is this correct? They say that the reasons are because if i was to get fired or leave, how would they get that holiday back. I explained that it would be taken out of my week in had or my final pay cheque. But they disagree.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. How long have you worked there for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Two and a half years
So are they saying that because it is the start of a leave year you cannot take leave?
Hi Jay, I'm still working on your question. They are not allowed to refuse annual leave on this basis, it is a breach of the Working Time regulations and is incorrect. You should raise a grievance with the employer.
If you overtake leave then your contract will probably allow them to deduct money from your final salary. If they do not listen to you you can contact ACAS and start early claim conciliation. If you have any further questions please do ask.
Hello Jay is there anything further you would like to know?
Hello Jay I can see you have another question open on this. They are not allowed to refuse you to take leave for this reason. Is there anything I can clarify for you?
You do to accrue holiday at all now. You are entitled to take it from day one under the Working Time Regulations. If your employer will not listen to you contact ACAS and start early claim conciliation. ACAS will contact your employer on your behalf. You will find details at
If there is anything further you would like to know please ask. Otherwise I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That'd great. Thank you for all your help. I hope you a great day
No problem Jay. All the best with it.