How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 49865
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I work in a restaurant 19 years. At the end of July the

This answer was rated:

Good afternoon. I work in a restaurant for over 19 years. At the end of July the restaurant is going to close . I already received my redundancy letter. I would like to know my rights. Thank you .

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

What specific rights are you enquiring about please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm 42 year old , I'm entitle to receive any money for all the years I've been working ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How does it works? Is there any specific rights for theses cases?

What did your employer offer you, did they say what you are entitled in your redundancy letter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, didn't offer anything . The only thing he did was giving me 3 months notice and didn't mention nothing else in the letter.

When your place of work closes down, this is a redundancy situation and this is confirmed under the Employment Rights Act 1996. So your employer will have to pay you in accordance with redundancy provisions. You are entitled to the following:

· Your notice period, which cannot be less than 12 week in your case

· Any outstanding holidays

· Redundancy payment, which you can calculate here:

Unless the employer is becoming insolvent, they will be responsible for these payments and you have the right to receive them on termination of your employment.

This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the rights you have should they refuse to pay you what you are due, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you

Ben Jones and other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you