How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 49858
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I been sent of work with no notice

This answer was rated:

I been sent of work with no notice

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Can you please explain your situation in some more detail?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was working for a company as a self employer
And suddenly this Friday I been told by a colleague that is not more work for me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I give my office a ring and they sed they will get back to me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now I'm home without job
Bills to pay and so on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They haven't give a reason or 1 week notice to look somewhere else
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What I she'll do
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm really stressed out
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

As you are self employed you are not protected against unfair dismissal.This means that the employer can dismiss you as and when they wish, as long as they follow your contract terms. So if there was a termination clause requiring them to give you a specified notice period on termination, all they would have to do is give you that notice period and your employment with them can be terminated. They are not legally required to provide a reason for the dismissal or follow a fair procedure. So if you were not given the week's notice period as per contract, you can pursue them for breach of contract and try to get payment for that week, which they should have given you. Whilst you cannot challenge the dismissal itself you can chase them for the week's pay you would have been due.

This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the steps you need to take in order to take this further, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will do so wen we finish talking
I'm not able to do it now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what I should do now ?

Whenever a dispute arises over money owed by one party to another, the debtor can be pursued through the civil courts for recovery of the debt. As legal action should always be seen as a last resort, there are certain actions that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve the courts. It is recommended that the process follows these steps:

1. Reminder letter – if no reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the debtor to voluntarily pay what is due.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but these have been ignored, the debtor must be sent a formal letter asking them to repay the debt, or at least make arrangements for its repayment, within a specified period of time. A reasonable period to demand a response by would be 10 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to recover the debt. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action.

3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to Once the claim form is completed it will be sent to the debtor and they will have a limited time to defend it. If they are aware legal proceedings have commenced it could also prompt them to reconsider their position and perhaps force them to contact you to try and resolve this.

Whatever correspondence is sent, it is always advisable to keep copies and use recorded delivery so that there is proof of delivery and a paper trail. The court may need to refer to these if it gets that far.

Ben Jones and other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you

you are welcome