How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 50154
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I had an accident outside of work and have suffered a

This answer was rated:

I had an accident outside of work and have suffered a punctured lung and three broken ribs. My GP has signed me off sick for a minimum of 4 weeks. My employer asked if I wanted to take some of it as holiday but later said they would pay me for 12 days. I have worked there for 7 years and only had 1 day off! They have never given me a contract or statement of particulars/job specific details. Where do I stand as I can't afford to be on sick without pat and SSP is not an option. Many thanks, Jamie.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Hi Jamie. Just before I look in to this, have you disputed the 12 days pay your employer has said they are willing to pay?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not yet -I just wanted to know where I stand although I am going to ring today.

OK thank you, ***** ***** it with me. I am in court today so will prepare my advice during the day and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great thanks.

Many thanks for your patience. If you are off sick from work then your entitlement to pay during the periods of absence will depend on your contract of employment, or in the absence of anything in there – on law. I understand that you were never issued with a statement of employment particulars, which the employer should have corrected, but even if they had issued you with one that does not mean in any way that they would have provided you with an entitlement to get anything more than SSP during periods of absence. It is entirely down to the employer to decide if they want to offer company sick pay and in the absence of such an entitlement the employee would not be able to claim company sick pay and will only be able to rely on SSP.

You are able to take some of the time off as holidays and be paid your normal rate for that period and if the employer wanted to they could decide to pay you full pay for a period they decide. You have to remember that without an explicit right to company sick pay it is down to the employer whether they pay you anything in addition to SSP. They may have decided to pay you for 12 days of absence but that does not mean they have to continue paying you anything after that and in the circumstances it does sadly mean that you will end up on SSP, unless you have more holidays you can take or the employer uses their discretion to continue paying you company sick pay.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks for your reply - I understand you must have been very busy today. Would you recommend I at least ask them to pay for my time off sick? If you don't ask you don't get! I suppose I also need to push for my contract as i was told when I was promoted to my current position some 2 years ago that sick pay was part of the deal. I was told this by one of the directors and my line manager. Many thanks, Jamie.

You have nothing to lose by asking them to pay you – they may be a ‘nice employer’ and agree to this, but that is entirely down to them. Also certainly push for the contract because they should have given you this within 2 months of starting and that is a legal requirement so you are entirely within your rights to push them for it. Hope this clarifies?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's great thanks you for clarifying. Much appreciated, Jamie

You are most welcome. If your original question has been answered I would be grateful if you could please quickly rate my answer by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page - it only takes a second to do and is an important part of our process. I can still answer follow up questions afterwards if needed. Thank you

Ben Jones and 2 other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you