Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

Ben, I have a few more questions regarding my redundancy

Hi Ben,I have a few more questions regarding my redundancy case.1. The individual would like the payment tax free as an ex gratia payment as it is notice pay can we do this?
2. There are restrictive clauses in his contract for 6 months. As he is being made redundant would these still apply?
3. He has requested a settlement agreement do we have to adhere to this or can we just pay him what is owed.Thankyou

Hi there, to answer your questions:

1. If this is notice pay they are due under their contract then that is a taxable payment

2. The clauses would still apply even if he is made redundant – he is not being dismissed in breach of contract so the contract would remain in place, together with any restrictions. You can of course waive any of these if you wanted to

3. No you do not have to agree to a settlement agreement, this is entirely voluntary

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.