How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 50495
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

Been refused pay rise for being sick should have had a£500

This answer was rated:

Been refused pay rise for being sick should have had a£500 pay rise and review at 6 months and didn't due another pay rise off £1000 in a few weeks was pulled in for a disciplinary the other day regarding my time of sick and told I will not be getting any pay rise.I should have had a review after 6 months and have never had one this is written in my contract of employment also highlighted is my pay ie £500 pay rise after 6 months £1000 after 12 months and now they are questioning my sick of which 1 occasions was hurt at work and logged in the accident book can they legally do this

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today. Does the contract say that the pay rise is conditional on sick leave, etc?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No mention off sick just says 6 months probation period then a review at wich point the company can terminate your employment or extend the period for another 3 months I have had no review and been employed for 11 months
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Contact does say you will be spoke to about sick if you have 3 or more periods off nothing about affecting your pay

If the pay rise was not conditional on anything, you should have been given that when you met the necessary criteria, i.e. after 6 months or after 12 months. If they wanted to make the pay rise discretionary or conditional on anything then this should have been detailed in the contract. Without any such clauses, it is assumed that the pay rise would be automatically implemented when you reach the necessary length of service. As such you would be able to challenge their decision not to award a pay rise after 6 months or when you reach 12 months with them.

However, there is one issue which will give them the upper hand here and allow them to be difficult about this. Until you have 2 years’ service with them you are not protected against unfair dismissal which means they can dismiss you for more or less any reason, except discrimination, which is not relevant here. So you could legally pursue them for the pay rise and make them pay you the extra money but in return they could just decide to dismiss you. So you could get the difference in pay that you should have been paid but could end up without a job instead. I am of course not saying that this is what they will end up doing but it is possible so be careful about how much you push them because they could be prompted to consider your employment as a result. But to answer our original question – the pay rise is due and can be pursued further if necessary.

This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the steps you need to follow if you want to take this further, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you

Ben Jones and other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After my meeting on Friday with my manager I walked out because of the pay situation I just want my money back dated to when I should have had my fist pay rise at 6 months as I didn't have a review so therefor assumed the company was happy with my work and now when I'm due another rise this happens

In order to try and resolve this, the employer should be contacted in writing, advised that this is being treated as unlawful deduction of wages and ask them to pay back the money within 7 days. Advise them that if they fail to pay the money that is owed, legal proceedings could follow.

If the employer does not return the money as requested, the following options are available:

1. Employment Tribunal - the time limit to claim is only 3 months from the date the deductions were made. To make the claim, form ET1 needs to be completed and submitted - you can find it here:

2. County Court – this is an alternative way to claim and the advantage is that the time limit is a much longer 6 years and is usually used if you are out of time to claim in the Tribunal. The claim can be made online by going to:

Hopefully by warning the employer you are aware of your rights and are not going to hesitate taking further action they will be prompted to reconsider their position and work towards resolving this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for you help I will do this straight away

you are welcome, best of luck